The Radley to Abingdon railway station branch line closed to passengers in 1963.The nearest major stations with taxi ranks are Oxford (6 miles/9.7 km) and Didcot Parkway (8 miles/13 km). Frequent express buses operate between Oxford station and Abingdon. Petrological analysis in 1940 identified the stone as epidotised tuff from Stake Pass in the Lake District, 250 miles (400 km) to the north.The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 33,130.Abingdon is 6 miles (10 km) south of Oxford, 15 miles (24 km) southeast of Witney and 19 miles (31 km) north of Newbury in the flat valley of the Thames on its west (right) bank, where the small river Ock flows in from the Vale of White Horse.Stone axes from the same source have been found at Sutton Courtenay, Alvescot, Kencot Abingdon has been occupied from the early to middle Iron Age and the remains of a late Iron Age defensive enclosure (or oppidum) lies below the town centre.The oppidum was in use throughout the Roman occupation.It is on the A415 between Witney and Dorchester, adjacent to the A34 trunk road, linking it with the M4 and M40 motorways.
Local bus services to Oxford and the surrounding areas are run by Stagecoach Oxfordshire, Thames Travel, the Oxford Bus Company and smaller independent companies. The small, primarily stopping-service, railway stations at Culham and Radley are both just over 2 miles (3.2 km) away.Abingdon's eastern ring-road and newest suburbs are under a mile which is connected by footpath and cycleway from Radley railway station.