The concept of luxury coaches spread to the other UK railway companies thereafter.
The PCC was formed in 1882 and named after the Pullman concept pioneered in the United States by the American railroader George Pullman.
From 8 July 1929, the vehicles were deployed into a new train the Torquay Pullman Limited, an all-Pullman service which ran two days a week between London Paddington and Paignton, stopping at Newton Abbot and Torquay only.
Not a commercial success, the train returned for the 1930 timetable as a 3 car only service, but was withdrawn at the end of the summer timetable, with the carriages stored at Old Oak Common.
The company entered into contracts with the railway companies to operate Pullman services over their lines. coaches to umber brown with white or cream upper panels, and in 1906 this colour scheme was also adopted by the Pullman Car Co., with the name of the car in large gilt letters...".
Pullman trains offered more luxurious accommodation than ordinary mainline trains. Pullman Car manufacture was also carried out by Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company and Metropolitan Cammell Carriage and Wagon Co.. This was the beginning of the tradition of PCC services operating with a brown-and-cream livery and named carriages, which continues to the present day.
A proposal was made to return the full seven car train in summer 1931, but the decision was taken not to operate the service.
Hitherto the Brighton Pullmans had been painted dark mahogany brown with gold lining and scrollwork. However, in 1928 the company placed an ordered for seven Pullman cars - four Kitchen Cars and three Parlour Cars, No's 252-258 - with construction subcontracted to Metropolitan Cammell in Birmingham.
Some of the older cars had the name in an oval panel on the side. Initially deployed from May 1929 on the London Paddington-Plymouth Mill Bay service, amongst standard GWR stock within the Ocean Liner Express boat train.