To the south, across the river, is the United States and the city of Sault Ste. These two communities were one city until a new treaty after the War of 1812 established the border between Canada and the United States in this area at the St. In the 21st century, the two cities are joined by the International Bridge, which connects Interstate 75 on the Michigan side, and Huron Street (and former Ontario Secondary Highway 550B) on the Ontario side. Mary's River descend more than 20 feet from the level of Lake Superior to the level of the lower lakes.Shipping traffic in the Great Lakes system bypasses the Saint Mary's Rapids via the American Soo Locks, the world's busiest canal in terms of tonnage that passes through it, while smaller recreational and tour boats use the Canadian Sault Ste. French colonists referred to the rapids on the river as Les Saults de Ste. Hundreds of years ago, this slowed shipping traffic, requiring an overland portage of boats and cargo from one lake to the other.
Marys River in Ontario, Canada, close to the US-Canada border.It is the seat of the Algoma District and the third largest city in Northern Ontario, after Sudbury and Thunder Bay.The entire name translates to "Saint Mary's Rapids" or "Saint Mary's Falls". Marie is bordered to the east by the Rankin and Garden River First Nation reserves, and to the west by Prince Township.To the north, the city is bordered by an unincorporated portion of Algoma District, which includes the local services boards of Aweres, Batchawana Bay, Goulais and District, Peace Tree and Searchmont.
It was considered one community and part of Canada until after the War of 1812 and settlement of the border between Canada and the US at the Ste. The US prohibited British traders from operating in its territory, and the areas separated by the river began to develop as two communities, both named Sault Ste. The historic Ojibwe, an Anishinaabe language people, originally called this area Baawitigong, meaning "place of the rapids." They used this as a regional meeting place during whitefish season in the St. (The anglicized form of this name, Bawating, is used in institutional and geographic names in the area.) After the visit of Étienne Brûlé in 1623, the French called it "Sault de Gaston" in honour of Gaston, Duke of Orléans, the brother of King Louis XIII of France.In 1668, French Jesuit missionaries renamed it as Sault Sainte Marie, and established a mission settlement (present-day Sault Ste. Later, a fur trading post was established and the settlement expanded to include both sides of the river. Marie is one of the oldest French settlements in North America.