The History of Bloomingdale can be found in three separate books published by the borough in 1958, 19.
Additionally, more history can be found in microfilmed local newspapers located at the Butler Museum, Unincorporated communities, localities and place names located partially or completely within the borough include Cold Spring Lake, Glenwild Lake, Iosco Lake, Lake Kampfe, Morse Lakes, Mothers Lake, Norvin Green State Forest, Pompton Junction, Star Lake and Twilliger Lake.).
Donald School (originally built in 1886) and the Bloomingdale Cornet Band continuously active since 1884.
De Lazier Field, used by the Triboro Little League, was the home field for the Minor League Baseball team known as the Bloomingdale Troopers of the North Atlantic League from 1946 to 1948.
This began a period of rivalry which caused a schism between the residents of Butler and Bloomingdale resulting in separate schools, churches and even town bands.
Bloomingdale was incorporated as an independent borough on February 23, 1918, when Pompton Township was split up into three new municipalities along with Wanaque and Ringwood.
The New Jersey Midland Railroad, later known as the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway, laid tracks adjacent to the settlement, with a Bloomingdale station located in what today is Riverdale.The racial makeup of the borough was 91.97% (7,041) White, 1.14% (87) Black or African American, 0.22% (17) Native American, 2.46% (188) Asian, 0.00% (0) Pacific Islander, 3.03% (232) from other races, and 1.19% (91) from two or more races.Prior to that, the area was known as Bloomingdale throughout the 19th century and was initially a farming community starting about 1712 with the "Bloomingdale Forge" built shortly thereafter to take advantage of the iron in the hills.The business district along the Paterson-Hamburg Turnpike and the Pequannock River began about the middle of the 19th century.
Bloomingdale, like most municipalities in North Jersey, is a suburb of New York City.Some of the things that still link Bloomingdale to its past are its two churches (Methodist and Baptist), the Samuel R.