State College evolved from a village to a town in order to serve the needs of the Pennsylvania State College, founded as the Farmers' High School of Pennsylvania in 1855.
State College was incorporated as a borough on August 29, 1896, and has grown with the college, which was renamed The Pennsylvania State University in 1953.
In 1973 State College adopted a home rule charter which took effect in 1976; since that time, it has not been governed by the state's Borough Code, although it retains "Borough of State College" as its official name.
It is the principal borough of the six municipalities that make up the State College Metropolitan Statistical Area, the largest settlement in Centre County and one of the principal cities of the greater State College-Du Bois Combined Statistical Area with a combined population of 236,577 as of the 2010 United States Census.
When Penn State changed its name from College to University in 1953, its president, Milton S.